IGNOU Ph.D. Course Fee, Duration, Eligibility criteria, Entrance exam, Syllabus
IGNOU Ph.D. Course
|Minimum Duration||3 years|
|Maximum Duration||5 years|
|Minimum Age||No Bar|
|Maximum Age||No Bar|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam + Interview based|
|Application Fees||INR 1000|
Ph.D in Arts,
Ph.D in Science,
Ph.D in Mass Communication,
Ph.D in Management,
Ph.D in Commerce,
Ph.D in Agriculture,
Ph.D in Education
Admission Process For IGNOU Ph.D. Programs
The selection is confirmed on the basis of the written test followed by an interview. Applications found suitable for admission will be called for the entrance test. Shortlisted candidates on the basis of their performance in the written test will be called for the interview round. Offer letters for admission will be sent to the Selected Candidates only.
Note: Candidates holding M.Phil. Degree (along with course work and dissertation both) or those candidates who have cleared NET (conducted by UGC/ CSIR/ ICAR) or any other equivalent examination will be exempted from appearing in the Entrance Test.
- The list of shortlisted candidates who will be required to appear for the Entrance Test will be displayed on the IGNOU website.
- The admit card will also be released on the official website of IGNOU one week prior of the exam date.
- Candidates must bring their admit card to the exam center, else they will not allow sitting for the written test.
- Applicants have to bring an original identity proof having a photograph, such as Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, Passport and ID card at the examination center.
- Students must score a minimum of 50% marks in the entrance test to qualify the exam.
- The Entrance Test will be held in 13 cities.
- Qualified candidates in the written test will be called for interview round/ Presentation.
- Offer letters for admission will be sent to the Selected Candidates only.
Read more: Home – IGNOU Assignment Wala
IGNOU Ph.D. Application Process
IGNOU facilitate admission to Doctoral courses on basis of percentage scored in a postgraduate degree along with an entrance test and interview. The application procedure is online.
Application steps in Ph.D. Program
- Visit the IGNOU official Website.
- Fill the form for new registration if you are not a registered candidate.
- Select your course, and note down its Course ID.
- Next, click on “Application”
- Fill the form for the candidate’s application.
- Pay the course fees for one year.
- Upload the required Certificate .
- Click on the submit button.
- Your application is provisionally accepted.
IGNOU Ph.D. Program Format
The doctoral program at IGNOU is offered in different streams which are listed below in tabular form along with the eligibility criteria and Number of seats.
|STREAMS FOR PH.D||ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA||NO. OF SEATS|
|Geology||Post-graduation in Geology or Geological Science or Applied Geology or Geo-Exploration or Mineral Exploration or Engineering Geology or Marine Geology or Earth Science and Resource Management or Petroleum Geosciences or Petroleum Exploration or Geochemistry or Geophysics or Hydrogeology or Geomatics or Geo-informatics or Remote Sensing and GIS from any recognized university||20|
|French||MA in French||02|
|Journalism and Mass Comm||Master’s Degree or M.Phil. Degree in Journalism and Mass Communication||15|
|Statistics||Post-Graduation in Statistics/ Applied Statistics with min 55% from any recognized university||08|
|Geography||M.A./ M.Sc. in Geography, Earth Systems Science and Relevant Discipline of Geospatial Technology||16|
|Gender and Development Studies||Master’s degree in Gender Studies or Gender and Development Studies with 55% marks. OR Master’s degree in other streams with one or two courses in the area of Gender Studies or Gender and Development Studies or with demonstrable evidence of teaching or research and publications in the area of Gender Studies or Gender and Development Studies||06|
|Women Studies||Master’s degree in Women’s Studies or Gender Studies with min 55% marks. OR Master’s degree in other streams with one or two courses in the area of Women’s/ Gender Studies and with demonstrable evidence of teaching and / or research and publications in the area of Women’s /Gender Studies||07|
|Biochemistry||Master’s Degree or any other equal qualification from a recognized university||09|
|Fine Arts||M. Phil in a relevant field with minimum 55% marks from any recognized university or Institution. OR Master’s Degree in Fine Arts/ Visual Arts/ Drg. and Ptg. / Design with at least 55% marks (50% marks for SC/ ST)||01|
|Theatre Arts||M. Phil in relevant field with at least 55% marks. OR M. P. A. in Theatre Arts with minimum 55% marks||02|
|Physics||M.Phil. in Physics with course work and UGC-NET (including JRF) / UGC/ CSIR-NET (including JRF) / SLET/ GATE or should be a teacher fellowship holder||05|
|Chemistry||Master’s Degree or M Phil Degree in Chemistry||–|
|Public Administration||Master’s Degree or M.Phil Degree in Pub Administration||03|
|Psychology||Master’s Degree or M.Phil Degree in Psychology||02|
|Law||Master’s Degree or M.Phil Degree in Law||07|
|Nursing||Master’s Degree or M.Phil Degree in Nursing||04|
|Library and Informative Science||Master’s Degree or M.Phil Degree in Library and Informative Science||03|
|Anthropology||Master’s Degree or M.Phil Degree in Anthropology||02|
|Computer Science||MCA, BE/B.Tech (With CS/IT), M.Sc Computer Science||–|
|Economics||Master’s degree or M.Phil in Economics||–|
- Candidates have a master’s degree in the relevant discipline from a recognized university .
- There is a relaxation of 5% marks for reserved category candidates (SC/ ST/ OBC).
- Candidates holding M.Phil. Degree (along with course work and dissertation both) or those candidates who have cleared NET or any other equivalent examination will be exempted from appearing in the Entrance Test.
A student registered for PhD programme is expected to prepare the synopsis while working on the course work under the guidance of the allocated supervisor. The same will be presented before the Doctoral Research Committee for consideration and approval after completion of course work. The synopsis/research proposal of the PhD Thesis may focus on the subject addressing creation of new knowledge or re-looking existing knowledge through
new or innovative ideas and/methods, theoretical interpretations or critical analysis as is approved by the Doctoral Research Committee and School Board, as the case may be, ratified by the Research Council.