Course Code : BCS-011
Course Title : Computer Basics and PC Software Assignment Number : BCA (1)/011/Assignment/2021-22
Maximum Marks : 100
Last Date of Submission : 31st October, 2021 (For July Session)
15th April, 2022 (For January Session)
This assignment has three questions of 80 marks. Answer all the questions. Rest 20 marks are for viva voce. You may use illustrations and diagrams to enhance explanations. Please go through the guidelines regarding assignments given in the Programme Guide for the format of presentation. Please give precise answers. The word limit for each part is 200 words.
Q1: (Covers Block 1) (7×4=28 Marks)
- Explain the functioning of a computer system? What is the role of each component of a computer? How does computer is able to execute an instruction? What is an integrated circuit? Explain
- What are the different codes that can be used to represent a character in a computer? Explain the purpose of use of ASCII and UNICODE with a help of examples for each. Explain how ASCII decimal digits are different from the binary
- Convert the following numbers as directed
- Decimal 125 into binary and hexadecimal
- Decimal 65465 into binary and hexadecimal
- String “Different Codes of 0, 1, till 9” to ASCII and Unicode strings
- Hexadecimal ABCD09F8 to decimal and binary
- Explain the memory hierarchy with the help of a diagram. Compare and contrast the features of primary memory with cache
- Why does a computer system have a hard disk? Which of the two – magnetic disk or optical disk has smaller access time? Give reason in support of your answer. How is the access time on a magnetic disk computed? Explain with the help of an example.
- Compare and contrast the following technologies:
- Serial port and SCSI
- Digitizing tablet and Keyboard
- Scanner and Bar code reader
- CRT and LED displays
- Explain the characteristics/functions of the following in the context of a computer system:
- Desktop computers
- List of the component of Motherboard of a computer
- Data compression
- My Computer and Recycle Bin
Q2: (Covers Block 2) (7×4=28 Marks)
- What are the key features of cloud computing? What are the benefits of using cloud computing? How is N tier client-server architecture different from cloud computing architecture?
- Explain the structured and modular design paradigm of programming language with the help of an Using the same example, explain how object-oriented programming is different from the modular programming.
- Define the basic functions of the following software:
- Server Programs
- Database management software
- Device drivers
- Anti-virus software
- List the functions of the following in the context of Operating System
- Process management
- Concurrent Processing on a single processor system
- Memory Management
- File Management
- Batch Processing
- Key features of Unix
- Draw a flow chart and write an algorithm for problem: Find the sum of all three digit even (Hint: These numbers are 100, 102, …998. You must use looping).
- Explain the meaning and output of each line of the following program segment. How many times the loop at (ii) and (iii) will be executed?
- int n = 4;
int i, outpt=1;
- for (i=1; i<=n; i++)
- output = outpt * i;
- printf (“The final value is %d “, outpt);
- Identify the software or type of software that will be required for the following situations. Also, explain the steps that would be performed to solve the situation in question, if
- A software maintenance company plans to deploy its staff on various client sites. It creates an expected list of tasks that are to be performed at each client site, expected time that would be taken to complete those tasks and number of persons needed to complete those Which software would help the company in planning of such deployment of staff?
- You are writing a report on a work completed by you. This report is expected to be about 50 page long and would consists of large number of headings and sub- You are required to create the table of content and an index of key terms in the report. Identify which software and what features of that software would be used by you. Explain these features.
- You are head of a sales team, which records monthly sales targets of each sales employee and the amount of actual sales made by the employees. This data is analyzed and suitable graphs are created to highlight individual and overall performance of a team. Identify the software suitable for the company and the features of the software that would be needed to create
- You are required to set up a communication environment for an organization in which a group of employees are informed about specific information, such as meeting date, meeting agenda, notes etc. The communication can be initiated by any employee of the organization and is stored with a subject. What kind of software will you use for such work?
Q3: (Covers Block 3) (6×4=24 Marks)
- How does the use of computer networks ensure high reliability and scalability? Also explain the following terms in the context of computer networks:
- Noise and attenuation
- Half Duplex transmission (iii)Twisted pair cable (iv)Microwave transmission
- What is meant by the term network topology? Consider that you have a central server system on which all your data is recorded, which network topology would be preferred by you? Justify your Also explain the characteristics of Wide Area Networks (WAN). Explain an application for which you need to use a WAN.
- Explain the characteristics of the following networking devices:
- Switches (iii)Router (iv)Gateway
- What is the need of DNS? Explain with the help of an example. What is subnet mask? Where and how can it be used? Explain with the help of an example.
- What is a browser? What are its features? Explain how can a browser be used for searching of information on the Internet? Write the search term, when you want to search for Universities who offer Engineering Programmes but do not offer Science Programmes.
- Explain the following in the context of Internet and its applications:
- Electronic Educational Resources